Friday, November 8, 2013

20 Ways to Use Essential Oils


        I find more ways to use my Essential oils everyday, they are wonderful for so many things. Actually as I sit here typing this I am sipping some sparkling water with Lemon EO in it, delicious!! The essential oils that I have enjoyed this way are Lemon, Lime, Wild Orange, Grapefruit, Cinnamon, and Slim &Sassy. 

So I made a list to share of 20 ways I like to use my EO's-

1.  Sparkling Dishes:  Instead of using Jet Dry anymore I just drop 2 to 4 drops of Lemon or Wild Orange EO onto my sponge and run it through the dishwasher with the dirty dishes for clean, lemony fresh dishes. It will disinfect your scrubber, your dishes will shine and the steam coming from your dishwasher makes your kitchen smell wonderful! 

2.  Replace Fabric softener sheets-   Apply 5 to 10 drops of Lavender, or Citrus Bliss EO to a clean cotton sock, roll it into a ball, fit the balled sock into the toe of a 2nd sock, twist end and pull the tube of section of the sock back down over the balled end.  Make it into a tight ball and throw it in the dryer with wet clothes.  This will last for 20+ loads, what a great way to save money  :) 

3. Homemade Febreeze Spray-  Place 1/2 t. baking soda in a misting spray bottle (about 16 oz) add hot water to fill. Shake well to dissolve the baking soda. After letting your mixture cool down add 8-12 drops of EO, I love trying different blends in this, my current mix is 5 drops Lemon, 4 drops Eucalyptus.  Use on curtains, furniture, bedding, carpets- always shake before using. 

4. Enhance Your Skincare:  Add a drop of Geranium, Frankincense  or Melissa EO to your favorite moisturizer  for supple skin. I have heard the Geranium calms redness, and Frankincense reduces wrinkles. 

5.  For Cough or Sore Throat:  Add 1-3 drops of Lemon, or 1 drop  OnGuard EO to a teaspoon of honey.  This one is good for kids as well. 

6. Make Your Own Fabric Softener:  This recipe is not only cheap, green and great at getting soap residue out of  your clothes while softening them, it's free of ALL chemicals. Talk about your win-win.  Using a glass quart of white vinegar,  add 20 drops of your favorite EO  and 1 t. of rubbing alcohol to the vinegar. Shake well.  To use add about 1/2 cup of your scented vinegar to the  rinse cycle or fabric softener ball.  Reuse your glass container and refill when empty.  I buy my vinegar from Costco in the HUGE jugs, super inexpensive. 

7.  Oral Health Care:  Add a drop of Frankincense, or OnGuard to your toothpaste upon brushing every night and morning.  Frankincense contains sesquiterpenes that enables the oil to penetrate the blood-brain barrier, it helps with memory, irritability and restlessness.  OnGuard is great for your oral health, and boosts your immune system. I make my own moulthwash- 10 drops OnGuard to approx. 1-1/2c, distilled water, in a glass stoppered jar. I swish with this each morning and night. Shake well before each use. 

8. Sweet Sleep: I love using doTerra's Serenity oil to make a sleep inducing bed spray for me and my Kiddos. One of my girls has decided it makes a great perfume as well and often comes out of her room smelling Serene :) The "recipe" for this will be in the Spa recipes I am posting in Dec. Since we began using this the 3 members in my family with sleeping troubles are no longer troubled, works for me :) 

9. Stomach problems-   We have come to LOVE an EO blend that doTERRA makes called DigestZen. It is amazing for ALL kinds of tummy troubles, indigestion,  vomiting, and cramping.   Rub 2 to 3 undiluted drops on stomach, a carrier oil will help it spread better if needed.  For more violent symptoms you can take 3 to 4 drops on tongue.  

10. Hair and Scalp-  Melalueca oil does wonders for dry itchy scalps, you can use it straight . Just rub a drop at a time on troubled areas. Also Rosemary oil is great if your hair is thinning out. It encourages it's growth and strength.  I am experimenting with making my own shampoo.  Until then I have some unscented shampoo I purchase at our pharmacy, it's about 24 oz, I added to 20 drops Rosemary, 20 Melalueca and 10 drops Peppermint oil to it. Smells amazing and the Peppermint makes my scalp all tingly.

11.  Hand Sanitizer :  We go through a ton of this in the Fall and Spring when my kiddos are in sports. I make up a mixture of OnGuard, aloe vera gel, and vit. E oil that I keep in my car and a peppermint one in my purse. I cannot use any commercial sanitizers, they dry out my hands way to much and the smell is awful! Our homemade version though smells wonderful  :) 

12.  Mold/Mildew Cleaner:  1 c. white vinegar, 1 c. distilled water in a spray bottle, then add 2 drops Lemon EO and 2 drops Melaleuca.  Shake well before each use, spray on area needed and  let stand for 30 minutes before wiping.
 
13. Acne and Skin Care:   Add 15-20 drops of Melaleuca oil to about 8oz bottle of Dr. Bronner's Castile soap for an effective wash for facial or body acne. You can also dab Melaleuca oil on straight, or neat, onto blemishes. With a teenage boy in the house this one has been much proven to be a winner : ) Also a misting spray of 8 oz distilled water, 10 drops Melalueca and 10 drops Juniper Berry oil works wonders and is easy to apply. As with all Eo's avoid your eye area. 

14. Breathing troubles:  Put a drop or two of Peppermint or Breathe Blend EO in the palm of one hand, cup the other hand atop the palm, put mouth to cupped hand and inhale deeply, air passages and lungs will open up immediately. 

15. Unwanted Visiters:  It's that time of year when the weather is cooling so spiders and mice try to move in.  Put 2 drops of  Purify oil and/or Peppermint oil on a cotton ball and place in areas that are known places of entry. 

16.Vaginal Yeast Infection:  5 drops of Melaleuca, 5 drops Lavender, and 1 drop Geranium oils in 5 ml (1t.) carrier oil.  Apply topically, and repeat as needed.

17. Strep Throat: I have used a blend of 10 drops Oregano, 12 drops OnGuard, 10 drops Lemon, 8 drops Melalueca in a roller bottle with 5 ml avocado oil to get rid of Strep throat. Also using the 2 drops Lemon oil, 1T. Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar, 1T. Honey helps too. 

18. A Great Way To Use Your Empty EO Bottles:  Next time you are taking a bath, fill up an empty EO bottle with warm water and empty it into your bath water.  A great way to use up the last little bit. 

19. Kitchen Cleaner:  Fill a 24 oz spray bottle with distilled water add 10 drops Lemon or Lime oil and 1o drops Grapefruit or Wild Orange oil. Shake well before spraying. I use this to clean/disinfect my counters, table, sink, floor, fridge and microwave.  Love the way this one smells and the citrus oils get rid or stubborn grease spots and smells. I have kiddos that OFFER to clean the kitchen just so they can use this spray. 

20. Bathroom Cleaner: This is the only cleaner I use in my bathroom, occasionally I break out some baking soda for a little extra scrubbing action but this mixture works perfectly for my everyday bathroom cleaning. 1 c. white vinegar, 1c. distilled water, 1 drop of dish soap, 10 drops OnGuard or Peppermint oil. Shake well before using.  I have also used this to clean my outdoor grill, worked wonderfully.    

     So there you have it, 20 ways to use Essential oils in your home. I hope these are helpful, I love using these oils. And love how MUCH use I am getting from them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment