Sunday, November 17, 2013
Wednesday, November 13, 2013
When using essential oils you need to keep in mind that they are to be used cautiously, like with any prescription or otc drug you should not overdo it. If you are using more than one EO and are unsure whether they should be blended together before applying, to be safest you should layer them one by one, either on your feet or in the area of application. I found some info on the safe usage of EO's on one of doTerra's web sites and wanted to share it here.
Is there anything I should know to use dōTERRA essential oils safely?
dōTERRA’s Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade® essential oils can be used safely by your family for a variety of wellness applications. However, there are several safety guidelines that you should follow when using essential oils and essential oil products.
1. Be sure to use only 100% pure therapeutic-grade essential oils and follow all label warnings and instructions.
2. If redness or irritation occurs when using essential oils topically, apply a vegetable oil such as fractionated coconut oil or olive oil to the affected area
3. Essential oils should not be used in the eyes, inside the ear canal, or in open wounds. In the event of accidental contact with the eye, dilute with vegetable oil NOT water.
4. Do NOT consume an essential oil internally unless labeled with a Supplement Facts box with specific dietary supplement use instructions and warnings.
5. Discontinue the use of an essential oil if you experience severe skin, stomach, or respiratory irritation or discomfort.
6. When using on children, apply a very small amount of oil to test skin or other sensitivity. Do not use oil on a child’s hand as they may transfer to their eyes or mouth.
7. Consult your physician before using essential oils if you are pregnant or under a doctor’s care or have other safety questions regarding essential oils.
It is important to remember that therapeutic-grade essential oils are highly-concentrated plant extracts and should be used with reasonable care. Consulting with someone who has experience with essential oils will make your first experience with essential oils more enjoyable and rewarding. As you learn how to use essential oils through personal experience, share your knowledge with others in a safe and responsible way and encourage others to do the same.
For dōTERRA product technical support, please call (801) 615-7200, Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. MST.
PRODUCT SUPPORT E-MAIL (For product use questions.)
If you have questions or concerns with your use of dōTERRA products, please contact dōTERRA by e-mailing your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will try to respond within 24 hours after receiving your e-mail.Product Support Services does not provide diagnosis or treatment for diseases. For health emergencies for which you believe a dōTERRA product is a contributing factor, please discontinue the use of the product immediately. If symptoms persist, contact a medical professional. If you or a child has consumed a large quantity (more than 5 ml) of an essential oil not labeled for internal use, contact your local poison control center (see http://www.aapcc.org for a national listing). Please follow all label usage instructions and safety warnings.
Posted by Lissaloo at 5:56 AM
Tuesday, November 12, 2013
I am enjoying my Rosemary Essential Oil right now :)
It's a favorite for me in the diffuser, I use 2-4 drops Rosemary and 3-5 drops Lemon EO almost every morning. I want the kiddos to head off to school invigorated with their brains all prepped for learning. It helps me get going too, my head feels clearer and I'm able to get my morning off to a good start.
When I ordered my Rosemary EO it was to help with dry itchy scalps and my lovely thinning hair.
4 kids= thinning hair
I think it's all the stress, I have 2 teenagers you know! :)
My preteen has gorgeous, long thick hair. She also has very sensitive skin and it gets dried out easily. Her scalp especially. We have tried every over the counter shampoo, cond. , cream rinses, expensive hair oils, we could find for dry scalps. She has even used a couple of prescription ointments. None of those have made much of a difference. So when I saw a pin on Pinterest and it lead me here- Camp Wander. I quickly made up a batch of Rosemary Hair Rinse, I tweaked her recipe a bit using what I had and adding in a couple other EO's I thought would benefit my daughter and I. When I get some more lavender EO I will definitely add a few drops to my rinse. We have both been using this for the last couple of weeks and LOVE it. If you follow the link to Camp Wander's blog she has a wonderful post on this and I am so grateful she does because it has helped us greatly :)
Rosemary Hair Rinse
2 c. cool water
4 drops Rosemary EO
4 drops Melalueca EO
2 drops Peppermint EO
2 T. Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar
I put all the ingred. in a clean, empty condiment bottle and shake it up good. (Shake each time before using) After washing and conditioning, cover scalp thoroughly with the rinse (don't get it in your eyes!) Massage it in and let set a couple minutes. Rinse it out, dry and style hair as usual.
This amount lasts us for 4-5 washings.
This amount lasts us for 4-5 washings.
Saturday, November 9, 2013
Using EO's for Headaches
I have a two blends that I had written down for headaches and so that I won't lose them I am putting them in here. I have tried each of these and loved the results. It seems like headaches can be put into 4 different categories and I have a blend for each of them now :)
15 drops Serenity Oil
15 drops Balance Oil
5 drops Peppermint Oil
carrier oil to fill bottle
Add to a 5 ml bottle, apply to forehead, back of the neck, or behind the ears.
10 drops Eucalyptus Oil
8 drops White Fir Oil
8 drops Lavender Oil
4 drops Peppermint Oil
carrier oil to fill bottle
Mix all in a 5 ml bottle. Apply to forehead and behind ears.
For Migraine Headaches I highly recommend doTerra's PastTense blend.
For Cluster Headaches I would use their PastTense blend along with their DeepBlue blend. The DeepBlue I would dilute with a carrier oil before using.
My friend Karen gave me permission to put her headache blend on here, it is amazing for hormonal tension headaches.
Karen's Headache Blend-
2 drops Peppermint
2 drops Frankincense
2 drops Lavender
Put your oils in a 5 ml roller bottle, fill the rest of the way with your carrier oil. Apply on your temple and behind the ears.
Before I started using doTerra oils on my family if someone had a headache the only thing I could do was hand them some Advil a warm or cold pack and tell them to go rest in their room where it was quiet. Not a lot of relief in that for my son who suffers from fairly severe migraines, where if things aren't caught early we have ended in the Dr's office many times. He has been on prescriptions to try and keep them under control and also has stronger prescription for when they are past Advil helping.
Now the preventive one made him tired, ALL THE TIME. And irritable. Tired, and irritable teenage boys are no fun let me tell ya. It was frustrating, very frustrating.
Since I have been using doTerra oils on him he no longer takes EITHER of those prescriptions, in fact I can't even remember the last time I handed him Advil. It's been weeks! And I haven't even been trying to treat his headaches, I have been trying to lower his stress and anxiety and keep his blood sugar more regulated. Which has been working!!! How do I know this? No headaches! Yay! This makes me very happy. And it has been so simple!
Each of the kiddos has a linen spray that I made up for them using EO's and distilled water, his has doTerra's Serenity oil, Lavender oil, and Melalueca oil. This gets sprayed on his bedding and throughout his room, and I diffuse Lemon oil in a blend every morning. This is to help with his anxiety. I put Cinnamon oil in his breakfast, either in a protein smoothie or in some oatmeal. To help keep his blood sugar regulated.
It's working great, and I love it :)
It seems like headaches stem from other problems, a side effect of something else. So when someone in my family gets a headache it's easy for me to know what oil/s to give them because I know them, I know that my daughter's headaches usually stem from stress. That my son's migraine is from tension, anxiety and usually low blood sugar. Another daughter generally only get headaches when she is suffering from allergy issues and her sinuses are acting up. So if I treat the symptoms first the headache usually goes away.
When I first got the chance to try out one of doTerra's oils that I hadn't used before, PastTense, I was immediately in love with it. One of the girls came home with a headache, so I rubbed a drop of PastTense across her forehead under her hairline, and behind each ear. I told her to put her school stuff away and wash her hands then if her head still hurt we would get her some Advil. Five minutes later no sign of her so I went looking, she was sitting at her desk doing homework. When I asked how her head felt she said- It feels good! It doesn't hurt anymore!
I have since then used it on myself and love how quickly it works! Needless to say I had to order a bottle for myself and was very excited to get it. No more trips to the Dr. office for migraines for us :)
Friday, November 8, 2013
I find more ways to use my Essential oils everyday, they are wonderful for so many things. Actually as I sit here typing this I am sipping some sparkling water with Lemon EO in it, delicious!! The essential oils that I have enjoyed this way are Lemon, Lime, Wild Orange, Grapefruit, Cinnamon, and Slim &Sassy.
So I made a list to share of 20 ways I like to use my EO's-
1. Sparkling Dishes: Instead of using Jet Dry anymore I just drop 2 to 4 drops of Lemon or Wild Orange EO onto my sponge and run it through the dishwasher with the dirty dishes for clean, lemony fresh dishes. It will disinfect your scrubber, your dishes will shine and the steam coming from your dishwasher makes your kitchen smell wonderful!
2. Replace Fabric softener sheets- Apply 5 to 10 drops of Lavender, or Citrus Bliss EO to a clean cotton sock, roll it into a ball, fit the balled sock into the toe of a 2nd sock, twist end and pull the tube of section of the sock back down over the balled end. Make it into a tight ball and throw it in the dryer with wet clothes. This will last for 20+ loads, what a great way to save money :)
3. Homemade Febreeze Spray- Place 1/2 t. baking soda in a misting spray bottle (about 16 oz) add hot water to fill. Shake well to dissolve the baking soda. After letting your mixture cool down add 8-12 drops of EO, I love trying different blends in this, my current mix is 5 drops Lemon, 4 drops Eucalyptus. Use on curtains, furniture, bedding, carpets- always shake before using.
4. Enhance Your Skincare: Add a drop of Geranium, Frankincense or Melissa EO to your favorite moisturizer for supple skin. I have heard the Geranium calms redness, and Frankincense reduces wrinkles.
5. For Cough or Sore Throat: Add 1-3 drops of Lemon, or 1 drop OnGuard EO to a teaspoon of honey. This one is good for kids as well.
6. Make Your Own Fabric Softener: This recipe is not only cheap, green and great at getting soap residue out of your clothes while softening them, it's free of ALL chemicals. Talk about your win-win. Using a glass quart of white vinegar, add 20 drops of your favorite EO and 1 t. of rubbing alcohol to the vinegar. Shake well. To use add about 1/2 cup of your scented vinegar to the rinse cycle or fabric softener ball. Reuse your glass container and refill when empty. I buy my vinegar from Costco in the HUGE jugs, super inexpensive.
7. Oral Health Care: Add a drop of Frankincense, or OnGuard to your toothpaste upon brushing every night and morning. Frankincense contains sesquiterpenes that enables the oil to penetrate the blood-brain barrier, it helps with memory, irritability and restlessness. OnGuard is great for your oral health, and boosts your immune system. I make my own moulthwash- 10 drops OnGuard to approx. 1-1/2c, distilled water, in a glass stoppered jar. I swish with this each morning and night. Shake well before each use.
8. Sweet Sleep: I love using doTerra's Serenity oil to make a sleep inducing bed spray for me and my Kiddos. One of my girls has decided it makes a great perfume as well and often comes out of her room smelling Serene :) The "recipe" for this will be in the Spa recipes I am posting in Dec. Since we began using this the 3 members in my family with sleeping troubles are no longer troubled, works for me :)
9. Stomach problems- We have come to LOVE an EO blend that doTERRA makes called DigestZen. It is amazing for ALL kinds of tummy troubles, indigestion, vomiting, and cramping. Rub 2 to 3 undiluted drops on stomach, a carrier oil will help it spread better if needed. For more violent symptoms you can take 3 to 4 drops on tongue.
10. Hair and Scalp- Melalueca oil does wonders for dry itchy scalps, you can use it straight . Just rub a drop at a time on troubled areas. Also Rosemary oil is great if your hair is thinning out. It encourages it's growth and strength. I am experimenting with making my own shampoo. Until then I have some unscented shampoo I purchase at our pharmacy, it's about 24 oz, I added to 20 drops Rosemary, 20 Melalueca and 10 drops Peppermint oil to it. Smells amazing and the Peppermint makes my scalp all tingly.
11. Hand Sanitizer : We go through a ton of this in the Fall and Spring when my kiddos are in sports. I make up a mixture of OnGuard, aloe vera gel, and vit. E oil that I keep in my car and a peppermint one in my purse. I cannot use any commercial sanitizers, they dry out my hands way to much and the smell is awful! Our homemade version though smells wonderful :)
12. Mold/Mildew Cleaner: 1 c. white vinegar, 1 c. distilled water in a spray bottle, then add 2 drops Lemon EO and 2 drops Melaleuca. Shake well before each use, spray on area needed and let stand for 30 minutes before wiping.
13. Acne and Skin Care: Add 15-20 drops of Melaleuca oil to about 8oz bottle of Dr. Bronner's Castile soap for an effective wash for facial or body acne. You can also dab Melaleuca oil on straight, or neat, onto blemishes. With a teenage boy in the house this one has been much proven to be a winner : ) Also a misting spray of 8 oz distilled water, 10 drops Melalueca and 10 drops Juniper Berry oil works wonders and is easy to apply. As with all Eo's avoid your eye area.
14. Breathing troubles: Put a drop or two of Peppermint or Breathe Blend EO in the palm of one hand, cup the other hand atop the palm, put mouth to cupped hand and inhale deeply, air passages and lungs will open up immediately.
15. Unwanted Visiters: It's that time of year when the weather is cooling so spiders and mice try to move in. Put 2 drops of Purify oil and/or Peppermint oil on a cotton ball and place in areas that are known places of entry.
16.Vaginal Yeast Infection: 5 drops of Melaleuca, 5 drops Lavender, and 1 drop Geranium oils in 5 ml (1t.) carrier oil. Apply topically, and repeat as needed.
17. Strep Throat: I have used a blend of 10 drops Oregano, 12 drops OnGuard, 10 drops Lemon, 8 drops Melalueca in a roller bottle with 5 ml avocado oil to get rid of Strep throat. Also using the 2 drops Lemon oil, 1T. Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar, 1T. Honey helps too.
18. A Great Way To Use Your Empty EO Bottles: Next time you are taking a bath, fill up an empty EO bottle with warm water and empty it into your bath water. A great way to use up the last little bit.
19. Kitchen Cleaner: Fill a 24 oz spray bottle with distilled water add 10 drops Lemon or Lime oil and 1o drops Grapefruit or Wild Orange oil. Shake well before spraying. I use this to clean/disinfect my counters, table, sink, floor, fridge and microwave. Love the way this one smells and the citrus oils get rid or stubborn grease spots and smells. I have kiddos that OFFER to clean the kitchen just so they can use this spray.
20. Bathroom Cleaner: This is the only cleaner I use in my bathroom, occasionally I break out some baking soda for a little extra scrubbing action but this mixture works perfectly for my everyday bathroom cleaning. 1 c. white vinegar, 1c. distilled water, 1 drop of dish soap, 10 drops OnGuard or Peppermint oil. Shake well before using. I have also used this to clean my outdoor grill, worked wonderfully.
So there you have it, 20 ways to use Essential oils in your home. I hope these are helpful, I love using these oils. And love how MUCH use I am getting from them.
Thursday, November 7, 2013
A friend and I are putting together a doTerra Spa Event in about 2 weeks. It's a hands on event and should be a lot of fun. Here are a few of the items we are offering-
Luxurious Foot Scrub
And Body Butter
After the event has past I will post our "recipes" for all of these on here. And possibly some free printables for the labels, that my amazing friend put together :)
I have a new found love for an old friend, Essential Oils. For many years, over 18 years actually, I have used them aromatically, I have very carefully used ONE of them topically (my melaleuca). About 6 months ago through a good friend I was introduced to a company that produces and sells essential oils that go through rigorous testing. Not just testing it themselves, they have their oils tested by another party as well.
So these oils can not only be used topically, but internally as well! I was a bit wary so I ordered melaleuca from my friend first. I was really happy with the quality of it. Then everyone (all 6 of us) in my family came down with a really bad cold/sinus bug, it was awful! My friend gave me samples of 2 oils, a blend called OnGuard and Oregano Oil. So the Oregano oil sat untouched on my dresser but the blend I put to use on my kiddos. I carefully rubbed it on the bottoms of their feet a couple of times through out the first day. By that evening I could already see a difference!! I used the sample up on the kids over the next 2 days and they all were quickly over it. I on the other hand was still miserable, I had only used the oil once that first day I got it. And now it was gone :(
So as I got ready for bed, debating in my head whether I needed sleep badly enough to take NyQuil, which I hate, I noticed the bottle of Oregano oil sitting on my dresser. At that point my head was so congested I was ready to try anything, I put a drop of Oregano, which I should have diluted, on the bottom of each foot. Then rubbed it on the middle of my forehead where I felt congested. Then I climbed into bed prepared for a miserable night. Much to my surprise within MINUTES I could breath through my nose! And the stuffiness in my head begin clearing, I was able to sleep very well that night. And woke up with a new found love for Oregano oil :)
Since that time I have found several oils that I have added to my collection, oils that have greatly helped my family. Since this is where I began collecting all of my notes and info on herbs and natural healing I wanted to began keeping a record of the oils I have used and what I have found them helpful for. Also oils and blends I have found that I want to try and have record of in case I need them.
The oils that I am using and loving are from a company called doTerra. I am aware that there is a lot of controversy on this subject and between companies. But doTerra is the one I have researched, used and will be using for the unforeseeable future, because I believe they are the safest for my family.
Here is some info from doTerra talking about their oils.
The CPTG Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade® mark* represents the internal standards used by dōTERRA for sourcing and testing pure aromatic botanical extracts using independent testing laboratories. The dōTERRA brand and registered CPTG mark represent the dōTERRA guarantee of pure essential oil extracts that meet high standards for both purity and material composition and accurate product labeling.
dōTERRA therapeutic-grade essential oils are pure, natural aromatic compounds carefully extracted from plants. They do not contain fillers or artificial ingredients that would dilute their active qualities. Proper extraction and quality control methods also ensure that dōTERRA essential oils are free of any contaminants, such as pesticides or other chemical residues. In addition to being pure and natural, CPTG Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade essential oils are subjected to additional quality testing that ensures the correct composition of the active natural compounds found in each oil. Even though an essential oil may be pure, if the right species or part of a plant has not been used, or if the plant has not been grown in the right environment, harvested at the right time, or not distilled under the right conditions, the natural chemical makeup of the extraction will not provide as predictable and powerful a benefit. In some cases, the wrong plant part harvested at the wrong time may result in an extract that contains harmful levels of some constituents.
For more info on this you can leave a comment, I will be checking them about twice a week. Or you can email me- email@example.com
Wishing you and yours- Good Health :-)